So, for 30 years or so (give or take a decade) you’ve had a period. You’ve got cramps, craved chocolate, sweets, ice-cream [Delete and insert your niche craving here] contemplated the legalities of murder when someone cuts you off, or asks you if its that time of the month and worn big pants for a few days. We never particularly liked it and given the choice would rather have forgone the delights but we knew where we stood.
Then they either stop completely or they become like the guy we dumped- yes they randomly stand you up. Suddenly that almond croissant you treated yourself to has surgically implanted itself on your hips …and your thighs ..and under your arms…and anyway…one croissant!!!
Your mood is irritable, up, down, weepy. You’d have a coffee with the girls to chat about it but you daren’t even look at a slice of cake to go with it. That’s if you remember that coffee date as your minds gone all foggy and mushy and …what was I saying? You’ve got to choose which cafe to go to carefully because the one with the good coffee is too hot and what with the hot ?ashes that make you feel like you’re the ?re guy from The Fantastic 4. Oh, hold on, maybe I shouldn’t drink coffee anytime after midday because the already elusive sleep fairy may stand me up as well!
These are just some of the delightful 7 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause that you may be experiencing or be about to experience;
- Low Libido and vaginal dryness
- Mind Fog
- Sleep Disturbances
- Joint Pain and Osteoporosis
- Irregular Period
- Mood Swings
- Hot Flashes
Life as you knew it has gone for good and we have had to let go of aspects of our femininity that de?ned us as women. But this is not the end, it is merely the beginning of a new chapter in every woman’s life and we can either sit around and moan about it or we can embrace the good things it brings (yes there are some good things) and see what gentle natural and easy changes we can make to ease the bad.
- Maca Powder can help to balance hormone levels and therefore helps with hot flushes -just take 1 teaspoon a day in a Maca Chai Latte or added to a smoothie
- Try Wicking pyjamas to draw moisture away from your body and reduce night sweats
- Ashwagandha root is mentioned in the Karma Sutra as a potent sexual stimulant- 1 teaspoon a day mixed in your juice will make you virile like a horse apparently!
- Gingko Biloba increases memory and general mental agility- no more brain fog!
- Wild cherries or tart cherries contain high levels of Melatonin which alleviates disturbed sleep
- Turmeric is a superfood (see blog) that has anti inflammatory properties that alleviate arthritic pain
- Try an intimate moisturiser to stop vaginal dryness and get your sex life back on track!
- Relax and ease muscle ache with an Epsom Salt bath. Add 3 cups of salts and a few drops of lavender essential oil to help with joint and muscle pain and just give yourself some me time 🙂
So, say goodbye to your tampon budget for the month, throw away those big pants and see this time as a freedom from fertility and a spiritual journey! Celebrate it with a rite of passage to give the maiden in you a farewell hug and welcome, value and celebrate the beginning of your time as the free wise woman.